*Join us in our goal to reduce traffic (& air pollution) by at least 30%! Check out these tips for travel, commuters and businesses.
Learn How to TravelSmart
My wife and I attended the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. During our trip, we became aware the TravelSmart Initiative, created to reduce traffic and pollution in getting up into the mountains, where most of the events were held. This site was born from that movement started during that time.
Due to the road restrictions, increased vehicle traffic and no parking at venues and along key routes during the Games, the Initiative was important. It helped everyone to plan their travel, so that we could all TravelSmart and get where we needed to go when Canada welcomed the world in 2010! Here are the tips for travel, commuters and businesses that were created during that important time.
Know Before You Go – plan your travel in advance using online tools and up to date information available at any of the transportation partners presented on this site
- In Metro Vancouver, take public transit, visit translink.ca (for Sea to Sky, visit bctransit.com)
- Rideshare or carpool and Park & Ride to avoid traffic delays and parking restrictions
- Leave the car at home and walk, cycle or in Whistler, ski!
- Use real time Transportation Alerts to stay up to date on travel changes or impacts
- Take the Olympic Pledge to reduce traffic and your corporate carbon footprint during the Games
- Provide Transit Passes to your employees to promote transit use and leaving cars at home
- Support Telecommuting to allow your staff to work from home
- Encourage Ridesharing & Carpooling
See more Business Tips on how to prepare for the Games and how to reduce travel for your business
Proud partners in Olympic and Paralympic transportation planning
- 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
- City of Vancouver
- BC Transit
- Vancouver Integrated Security
- Municipality of Whistler
- Ministry of Transportation of BC
Only a few months after the 2010 Winter Olympics were complete, Roberta & I took off on our world trip. The TravelSmart Initiative was so impactful on how we viewed traveling, we decided to continue the guidelines not only back in our hometown of Toronto, but especially out on the road. We hope you’ll be moved by the information on our site and the new way of thinking about travel that the Initiative generated for us.
Roberta & Ed